Pages

1.01.2017

Dry mounting a scorpion

Happy New Year!

I was super excited to finally have a chance to sit down and try my very first attempt at dry mounting a scorpion.  This critter came to me from a friend whose pet passed some half decade ago.  Through several years and a couple of moves, the scorpion had been kept frozen.  Until today. 

Realizing that this isn't everybody's cup of stinger, I'll keep this brief, though I'm always paying attention to the comments if there are questions.  The pictures are of the final part of the procedure.  The pins are there to brace the scorpion but do not go through the body anywhere.  The scorpion will sit and dry for a couple weeks before I pull out the pins and see what I done did.




For anyone curious, these are the instructions I used.  The hardest part was finding syringes (Peavy Mart ended up being the place to go).  And messing with the wood glue - next time instead of trying to inject the uber thick paste, I'm going to try something a little different. 

If there is a next time... scorpions are actually in fairly short supply in my part of the world.  I'm trying to figure out how to politely and respectfully ask my friends and family to bring me their dead (pets).  Road kill is acceptable too. 

I have read that taxidermy is the hottest trend for middle age housewives who love their DIY and, I thought, I'm middle age, I'm a housewife, I DIY.  And after cleaning up boy vomit and changing diapers for years, the inside of anything not currently trying to bite me or asking me for food isn't going to bother me much.  Sign me up!

And bring me your dead.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wasn't really expecting that but can't wait to see the finished item! And the next project!

    ReplyDelete